Mid life crisis of an Ohio Queen

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Barbie Doll Factor

I am my husbands very own Barbie doll.

I say this after the incredible weekend we spent together. We had a weekend date as my mom and dad took custody of B for the weekend. So they got to enjoy each other as much as we got to enjoy our time alone together.

E made a conscious effort to make the weekend all about me. I don't know why but I will not even bother to ask. I am just grateful that he loves me enough to do something like that for me every once in a while.

Friday night we got together with dear friends of ours that we have known for years. They own a mattress store in Mansfield and we have not been there yet. They also have a used furniture store that is full of very nice treasures. We had fun poking around in there and seeing what they had. If you want the info on the place for your next mattress or furniture purchase, drop me a line. I am more than happy to share the info.

We went to O'Charley's with them and then E helped them with some computer stuff. Before we knew it, it was 1 AM. Definitely time to head back as we were leaving early for the pageant that morning.

We got up at 6 AM and got things together to go. We finally left at 7:30 AM and got to Sylvania at 9:30 AM. After applying my make-up in the car (after I realized halfway there that I forgot to put make-up on) we arrived at the hotel. And I had a Cheers moment. We walked into the hotel and a few people in the front of the hotel waiting area turned and shouted out my name. I was embraced in hugs and well wishes in a matter of seconds and it did not end for at least an hour. It felt abssolutely wonderful!!!

After the hotel we went to the theatre to catch up with friends there and meet the contestants. It was great to see their excitement for what they were doing. It was refreshing. Then it came time for lunch and E and I headed out. We made an afternoon shopping date. There is where the Barbie Doll Factor fits in.

We went to the mall and looked for an evening dress for the pageant. I had brought one but if I found one that was nicer I was going to buy it if the price was right. But alas, it was not. So I stayed with the same outfit. But we did go to Express and E had a blast finding clothes for me and dressing me up. After all was said and done I had a new pair of jeans, two new tank tops and new shoes. He loves dressing me up!!!

We came back and got ready for the evening. We left for the restaurant and to my surprise it was not what I expected. It was a bar that served food. Not even like an Applebees. Just a bar. I was ready to go elsewhere but since we were meeting friends for dinner we stayed put. Plus, at that time all the other restaurants would be crowded anyways. We met with the Castle's for dinner and then headed to the theatre.

It was definitely different being in the audience this year. I had spent the past two years on that stage and then to go to sitting in the audience was an adjustment. We sat next to Mrs. Ohio 1999 and her family. Her daughter was competing in the Teen portion and that had Mrs. Ohio 1999 on her toes all night long!!! She was definitely nervous for her daughter. We had fun watching the first portion of the pageant together. Then it was on to the stage!!!

Every year all visiting titleholders that held the title of Mrs. Ohio gets to be introduced and have her walk on the stage. It is sad but I really look forward to this every year. It is a major highlight for me. After a good number of formers it was my turn to walk the stage.

It was incredible to walk and meet E in the center of the stage. He looked very handsome in his tuxedo and I know that he completely understands why this is so important to me. And that makes him all the more attractive. I got my half a minute on the little platform and went to rejoin the others. And I was happy to be there. I was home.

We went back to watch the rest of the competition. And when we returned, Mrs. Ohio 1999 and her family were gone. I knew that she and the rest of her family got split up and I wasn't certain if she just went to rejoin them or if I had bugged her and driven her away. Since it seems that I have stepped on a number of toes recently I went up to her after the competition and apologized if I had bugged her so much that she decided to move. All she did was start cracking up laughing and told me that it was definitely not my fault that she moved. She just wanted to join the rest of her family. I felt better.

Then it was time for the titleholder picture. Every year, all of the Mrs. Ohio's gather for a photo with the newest Mrs. Ohio. It is like bringing them into a family and I absolutely cherish the photo from my year. It is a prized possession. At that time, I got to speak with the newest Mrs. Ohio and fell in love with her. She is so sweet and geniune. We did our photos and then the husbands were asked to join in. That surprised E but he joined the picture. I hope to get a copy of the photo. I will have to ask my director if I can purchase a copy.

We left and hung out with the Castle's for a bit longer then hit the sack. The next morning we were up and down for breakfast. We got to hang out with some more of our friends and former titleholders. We have agreed that we need to have a reunion of some sort but someone has to organize it. I think that I will take on that task. It would be fun to have a girls slumber party somewhere and I am happy to get that done.

After breakfast we left to get back into town for our USANA meeting. We got back way too fast and needed to kill some time before we went to the meeting. So we went to Wal-Mart. And E was back to the Barbie Doll Factor. He was hitting all of the sales racks and found some cute stuff for me. I was sent to the dressing room and had to try on a bunch of clothes. We ended up with two pair of jeans (at $7 a piece, you cannot pass that up), a pair of jean shorts and three cute tops. And also about 6 pairs of sexy underwear that had rhinestones on them. Since he was the one who was picking out the clothes and being good that was his treat.

I will admit, I felt guilty. I needed new clothes but I always feel guilty when I get something for me. I think it is the mother role in me that always wants to take care of everyone else that I leave myself behind a lot of times. And E woudl not allow that this weekend.

After our meeting it was back to Mansfield to go collect our child. He was actually happy to see us and we took him to dinner. He was very well behaved and we realized how much we really missed him. So much that we let him sleep in our room that night. That was one crowded room with the three of us and the cat too.

All in all, a great weekend was had. And it was well deserved. I feel happy and content now and that was in need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home