Mid life crisis of an Ohio Queen

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Texas Garage Sales Rock My World

Sorry I have been a bit absent lately. Have been preparing for a garage sale to help fund our return home to Ohio. And boy did it pay off!

I posted our garage sale on www.craigslist.org and got some hits off of it. Early hits. I contacted these people about some of the stuff being offered and got no reply. I figured I may have wasted my time. But it was too early to tell.

We spent Friday night making large bright colored posters with big arrows. The fumes from the markers were killing me but we made it. I went to bed shortly after finishing the posters because I was beyond exhausted. E came to bed at midnight and was back up at 6 AM to hang posters.

I got up and went to the garage. It was almost 6:30 AM and E had just come back. When he came back so did two other cars. People to start buying. At 6:30 AM?!?!?! Crazy. We put on the posters from 9 AM - 3 PM. But what I learned yesterday was that the die hard garage salers were out by 6 AM.

We had a steady stream of people from 6:30 AM to 8:00 AM. Unbelievable. A number of our larger items were purchased as well as a bunch of stuff I thought would never go at all. Majority who came were hispanic and some did not even speak English. But they knew prices and how to negotiate. I hate negotiating at garage sales!!! The price is on there, pay it or go.

One of the best things we did was put a tote full of toys that we were selling in the very front of the garage and the glass items in the very back. No kids came back to the area because the y were taken by the toys in the front. Genius!!

Another thing that we did was put all of the baby clothes in three totes. Some had prices and some did not. We just told people that we would negotiate when they brought the items to us. Once we looked through all of the stuff we made an offer. All but one offer was taken. The woman had about $200 retail worth of clothing. We asked $28 and she balked at that. Put it all back and a woman right behind her picked them all up and brought them over to us. Then she paid for it. That was a hoot.

One memorable story was a Mexican man was looking really hard at my photo vanity. He kept debating over whether to buy it or not. He showed his wife and she fell in love with it. After much debate he passed it because of the cost. E and I decided to let them make us an offer. We negotiated and took the offer. She was so ecstatic. It made me feel good.

To top it off we got rid of a ton of clutter, opened up two totes to pack and made enough money to help us move back. A good sale if you ask me. And the thing that was funniest of all this. It RAINED ALL DAY!! In Ohio, no one would come out but they sure do here!!!!

And this morning I took a small test of where I should live. Here is what mine said:

You Belong in New York City
You're an energetic, ambitious woman.And only NYC is fast enough for you.Maybe you'll set yourself up with a killer careerOr simply take in all the city has to offer.


Not sure if I agree with that but who knows?!?!

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, March 19, 2006, Blogger -h. said…

    YAY for garage sale mojo.

    What you didn't sell, post on CraigsList. I effing LOVE that thing.

    Wonder if I can sell my kid on there? It's been one of "those" weekends. LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home