Mid life crisis of an Ohio Queen

Monday, March 06, 2006

Airport craziness

I will share my Thursday and write later about the rest of my weekend.

Left work early afternoon on Thursday to finish up packing and loading the car with my suitcases for Ohio. Had three interviews lined up and had to get going on everything. Got the last of my packing done and loaded the suitcases into the car. Picked up B and waited for E to get home to take me to the airport. I was hoping for some good conversation with E before I left but work calls kept coming in for him. And he was supposed to be on his lunch break!?!?! I don't think so.

Got to the airport and B was crashed out. I kissed him good bye and left to get my stuff checked in and go through security. When checking in, I put on the screen that I had less that 50 pounds per bag. The airline employee quickly corrects me that I needed to weigh the bags first then put that in. After flashing a sweet "I know what the hell I am doing so leave me alone" smile I put the bags on the scales to prove my point. They were both under the 50 pounds. So me being me I made a silly face behind her back and she turned too quickly to see me do it. Whoops. But the other airport employee saw and laughed. Said that she needed to be put in her place.

Got through security and went to my gate. Plane was due in on time and I was happy. Then the sign changed and it was going to be delayed by 10 minutes. I started to panic as I knew that my flight to Columbus was the last flight that night. I went to the desk and asked if I was going to miss my flight. They assured me that it would not happen. So I go back to an impatient wait. They finish unloading the plane and start to call for our flight. And they took their precious time doing it. It was getting irritating.

After they called all of the first class, OnePass Elite Members and everyone else that was not important I finally got to board. I get myself settled and was seated next to a gorgeous blonde. I will admit it, she was hot. I felt so frumpy in my jeans and shirt then. We started talking and she was a sweet girl. She was heading to Sarasota to see her boyfriend who is a baseball player with the Cincinnati Reds. Nice. But not so nice was the fact that the plane started to take off then sat forever. There was plane traffic and we had to wait for the plane to take off. There was a delay of 15 more minutes. Panic set in.

As I was freaking out about missing my plane I felt a little relieved that my plane took off at 7:05 PM. The girl who was next to me, her connection was at 6:30 PM. And she was going to possibly miss it. We were frantically calling to the airlines to see if they would hold our flight or if they were delayed and no one could give us the answer. Finally we take off and were told that we will find out more at the airport.

We arrived in at 6:35 PM. Most of the people on my flight missed their connecting flights and I had very little time to make it to my gate. And of course my gate was all the way across the airport. I ran like you could not imagine and it hurt like heck. I made it to my plane completely winded and hungry. No time to get something to eat so I got into my seat and finally caught my breath.

Then they were having problems with people on the plane. They overbooked the flight and now people were scrambling for seats. There was an empty seat by me and they wanted to put someone in it. Me with my blood sugar going down told the snotty stewardess that the only way someone could sit next to me was if they had food. She just snapped at me that I had no choice unless I wanted to move seats. So here comes my seatmate.

My seatmate was incredible. Built beautifully and had a duffle bag full of food. Found out that he was the 2nd ranked Strongman in the world. And he was going up for the Arnold Classic in Columbus. First thing I say to him was "So, do you have any food or what?" Clever. But he produced a smoothie for me and gave me fruit snacks. Thank god for a good sense of humor.

Because of his build, I was squished in my seat. But I did not care. We chatted for a bit and found out that he was married and had a stepson. Then we talked about competing and I told him about Mrs. Ohio. He was very impressed and couldn't help but brag to his wife about me. She was really cool and we talked competition.

Then the fun of the trip. I pulled my DVD player out and played the movie Love Stinks. For anyone who has seen it they understand the humor of the movie. The closed caption was on and it can be read on the screen. Before long, I was watching the movie along with the two people seated next to me and the two people behind me. It was a riot.

Finally we touched down and got off the plane. Into cold Ohio. Oh well.

Definitely a very interesting plane excursion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home