Mid life crisis of an Ohio Queen

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Four Year Old Frustration

Will four year olds EVER be normal?

My son is in a phase right now where he is retesting his boundaries. And it is driving me absolutely nuts. And he is in the negotiation phase. Where every "no" is challenged with an explanation as to why it should be a "yes".

For example:

B - Mommy, can I have a drink of water?
Me - No. It is too close to bedtime.
B - But mommy, if I do not have a drink of water my tummy will be very angry and hurt.
Me - I said no. I do not want you to wet the bed.
B - But mommy, I will not wet the bed. I will get up and go potty. I promise.

Here is another one:

B - Mommy, can I go outside and play? (this is after he refused to clean his toys)
Me - No. You did not clean up your toys therefore you cannot go outside.
B - But mommy, if I do not go outside and say hi to my friends they will be very sad.
Me - I said no. You did not clean up your toys and it is getting colder outside.
B - But mommy, I will wear a coat so I do not get cold.

And another one for the books:

Me - B, I need you to go upstairs with me and take a bath.
B - No mommy. I already took a bath.
Me - You did not.
B - Yes I did. I took one yesterday. I do not need a bath.
Me - Yes, you do. If you do not take a bath you will get stinky.
B - That's okay mommy. I have no problem with that.
Me - Yeah, but I do.
B - I only take baths when the sun is down and you can see that the sun is still up. So I do not need a bath.

And it can go on and on and on. My nickname for him is Donald Trump. He is the master negotiator. And it is insanely crazy.

Are there any support groups out there for this? Sigh.......

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home