Mid life crisis of an Ohio Queen

Thursday, February 09, 2006

A Recap of B's 4th Birthday

Well, yesterday was B's fourth birthday. I still cannot believe that my baby is four now. It just seems like yesterday that I was in the hospital having him.

The day started out very well. E and I got up early and decorated B's door with a sign, streamers and balloons. It was cute when we were done. We were so anxious to see his response that we opened his door and told him to get up it was his birthday and shut the door again. He was up in a few seconds and opened the door. He started giggling when he saw the streamers and balloons. We got our morning cuddles and birthday singing out of the way and went to our room. He received a gift in the mail a few days before from his great grandparents in Akron (the ones we like) and he asked to open it. We obliged and found a book with a 35MM camera. He loved it.

Took B to school with cupcakes and gift bags for all of the kids in his class. He got some more birthday wishes and I took off for work. Realized that I forgot my cell phone and wallet at home I carefully drove back to the house and picked them up. Good thing I did as there was a message from my mom. They were at the airport getting ready to board the plane for Austin and wanted to let me know how everything went. After a couple of more calls they were on the plane and ready to take off. I resumed my work.

About 30 minutes later I get a call on my cell phone. It is my mom's cell. That is not a good sign as they were to be in the air. She called to let me know that as they were taking off, nearly air bound, the panel for the airplane went out and they had to do an emergency landing. They pulled to the side and had to wait. While on the phone I heard the captain in the background inform everyone that they needed to de-plane and go back into the airport. They were going to switch planes. What seemed like an easy fix was much harder and they had to go to another plane. By the time they got back in, they saw the mechanic in the engine area. Boy was I glad they were not completely airborne when that happened. I could have lost my parents!!! The plane was an hour late.

E and I met over at the airport to pick them up. After a frustrating round of "Find a Parking Spot in a Full Garage" we went to the passenger pick up area and parked there. E went in to get them and was out with them in minutes. I met Mom for a good hug and my dad walked right past me. He figured B was in the car and wanted to see him first. Nice Dad, at least I know where I rank!!! Told him that B was still in school and we would get him later.

Took Mom and Dad to Taco Cabana for lunch and then we did a little bit of last minute shopping for B's gifts. Once that was complete, went back to the house, got presents wrapped, the parents settled and then left to get B from school.

We get to the school and I sign him out. He still has no clue that my parents are there yet. I go into his classroom and ask him if he is ready to get his big surprise for his birthday. He looks at me confused and I tell him to close his eyes. The kids in his class tell him to close his eyes. I let my mom and dad in and told him to open his eyes. He does, looks at them in shock then leaps into his grandma's arms and hugs her tightly. Then he leans into his grandpa and hugs him. After that, he jumps down and starts telling all the kids, his teacher and any parent who will listen that they were his grandma and grandpa. He was ecstatic at this point.

We head home and I found another gift for him in the mailbox. Flexigirl sent his gift to him for his birthday. I was surprised b/c I did not see this coming. We walk into the house and he sees all of his presents wrapped up. He asks to open his presents at this point. I ask him if he wants to do that now or wait until after dinner. He gives me that look that says "Did you really ask me that question?" and tells me now. So we let him open the presents. My house now officially looks like Spider-Man has invaded it.

Once he is done with opening everything, we ask him where he wants to go for dinner. He says McDonald's. Yeah right. We ask if he wants that OR Chuck E Cheese. Well, that decision changed and off the Chuck E Cheese we go. We had a fun night of playing and eating pizza. After we finished there we went and bought an ice cream pie for dessert and came back to sing Happy Birthday. He did not have a famous cake made by Grandma but she is saving that for the move back.

We spent the rest of the evening watching American Idol and Lost with a fire going in the fireplace. A beautiful ending to a beautiful day.

Happy Birthday B!! Hope this will be one of your favorite birthdays that you will ever experience.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home