Mid life crisis of an Ohio Queen

Friday, November 18, 2005

Life Lesson: When you feel at the top of your game, do something nice for someone else.

I know the great joys of giving and receiving. Especially when it is at the most unexpected time.

These past few weeks I have totally felt on top of my game. I have adjusted better to my job, we have had a solution to the health insurance crisis and our bills are almost completely caught up. I felt so good that I wanted to do something nice for someone else.

I thought of my brother. He has had a rough time with the divorce. Especially financially since part of his check is going for child support. Which I do not understand since he has her about 50% of the time. I do not feel that is fair. And knowing that the Jobless Wonder is most likely using it for her own gain I am really not happy. We decided to do something nice for him.

On payday, we went out for Family Date Night. After a good dinner, we went to Big Lots where they have brand name food for a fraction of the cost of grocery stores. We stocked up. Not only for us but for my brother too. We bought some stuff we thought that he would like and stuff we knew our niece would like.

The next day I packed everything together in a good size box and mailed it to him. I knew that it would be there by today so I waited to hear the response.

I got a call about 15 minutes ago. It was my brother. He said there was a box and he was waiting for the bomb squad to get there to diffuse it. Very funny. He wanted to know what was in it. I told him that if he wants to know open the box and find out. So he went ahead and did it. And he was thrilled. I have never heard him thank me so much in one phone call.

As Phoebe would say on Friends "There is no such thing as a selfless good deed". And I know what she means. I feel wonderful that we were able to help. It makes it so worth it to hear him say thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home